Trans Fund

What is the Trans Fund?
The CUPE 4600 Trans Fund was created in 2018 to provide financial assistance to trans CUPE 4600 members. The fund is intended to cover expenses associated with being trans (e.g. name changes, medical travel, etc.).

Who can access the Trans Fund?
Trans CUPE 4600 members of either unit can apply for the Trans Fund.  Contract Instructors retain membership in CUPE 4600 for two years after the last class they taught, and Teaching Assistants retain membership for one year after they have last worked as a TA.

How can I apply to the Trans Fund? 
By filling out this form.  Applications are reviewed three times per year: September 30, January 31, May 31.

What if it is an emergency?
If you need to access the fund in an emergency, please email There is no guarantee we will be able to respond quickly to emergency requests, but we will endeavor to do so.

Who oversees this fund?
The fund is administered by an all volunteer committee of CUPE 4600 members, most of whom are trans. If you are interested in volunteering with the committee, please contact us.

The name I use is not the same as my legal name, will this be an issue?
That’s not a problem. If your application is successful, we may need your legal name to process funds, but it will not be shared.

Other resources exist!
SAFETY Ottawa offers microgrants for name changes through their MeFund. The Ottawa Trans Library has many events and resources. Kind Space has a variety of programs and services. Trans Health Ottawa and the Trans Health Clinic at Centretown Community Health offer a variety of health navigation and care programs.